Introduction
May. 4th, 2009 12:00 am31st March 2011 - unstickied. You write a biography when you're nearly 21, then come back to it when you're nearly 23 and see if you want to keep it right at the top of all your entries!
Actually, seeing as this is a new journal in a new place, I guess I'll write an introduction for anyone who happens to stumble along.
So, here's a (not so) brief summary of me & my life:
My name is Siobhán. I'm 20 years old, born on the 26th of May 1988. I have two siblings - an older brother (James), who is doing ridiculously well in his post-uni life and is always texting me about shiny new gadgets he has bought, the most recent being a super new house with his long-term girlfriend and their dog. It has built in speaker systems and set-up for Sky HD and things. What a bastard. I have a younger sister (Niamh). She is 14 on the 23rd of May and to be honest I have never forgiven her for being born three days before my birthday. Everyone who has ever met her agrees that she is probably the spawn of the devil. She's currently in her 'emo' phase (she insists she's not an emo, but if you saw her you'd know she was wrong), and my dad recently had the nerve to tell me that she's better at English than I was. English has always been my subject. Despite all this, I'm quite fond of her when she's far away from me. My dad suffers from 'depression' (air-quotes because 'depression' is such a catch-all term and I don't want to go into the precise details) and my mum suffers from living with him (a very difficult task). They're poor, but have always done their best to provide me with everything I needed and with a good deal of things that I just really wanted. My grandparents' are some of my favourite people on earth - having spoiled me ridiculously since childhood, I cannot fathom life without them and I am determined to get married as soon as possible, because the thought of them missing my wedding is something I can't entertain. My family are so important to me, and I know how lucky I am to have them.
Another thing that I am lucky to have is my boyfriend of over three years. His name is Joel, and he's a Libra. According to a book somebody bought me once, steadfast Libras are the perfect match for flighty Geminis like myself, and so far it seems to be working out pretty well. I love him more than words can describe, which obviously means I tend to talk about him a LOT. You have been forewarned. We are moving in together at the end of June 2009, and I literally cannot explain how excited I am about this. I cannot wait for the day when I never have to be without his lump of a presence in my bed again. ♥
I'm just about to finish my BA in English Studies at the University of Liverpool (11 days to go), which is pretty scary. I want to be a librarian, but before that I have to raise the funds for a postgraduate degree and I haven't yet secured a post-Uni job. So at the moment, life's looking pretty terrifying for me, but I am sure I will get it all worked out. At one time in my life I really wanted to be a writer, but for a long time now I have barely written anything. I believe that I am a very talented writer apart from in one very important aspect, which is that I lack plots. I recently had a short story published in a journal, though, which has inspired me to start writing again.
I love reading (hence the English degree). My favourite book is To Kill A Mockingbird, but my favourite genre is generally fantasy. I have an unfathomable love for Harry Potter, not just because the books are amazing (they are) and because I've been following them since I was 9 (I have), but also because of the Harry Potter fandom, and what it has brought to my life (in short: amazing, life-defining friendships).
I am fond of a few TV shows: Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Queer as Folk US are maybe my all-time favourites, but current shows that I enjoy are: Smallville, which I just recently started to watch from the beginning and am liking it a lot; new Doctor Who - I am a ridiculous doctor/rose shipper, and i'm also not over what they did to poor Donna; Bones, which combines forensic crime drama and amazing characters and David Boreanaz (my first love: see Buffy) and which therefore I love; Gossip Girl, which is my guilty pleasure; How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory, which I think are both vastly underrated, at least here in Englandia.
My journal name is from the Snow Patrol song 'Set the Fire to the Third Bar'. For a long time my journal name was the vastly unoriginal 'siobhanohare', and then some drama made me decide that it was time to change to something different. I tried in vain to change to something relating to the song 'Chasing Cars' (which is Joel and I's 'song' (clichéd, I know)), but all the possible variations of it that I could think of were taken, and I was very much in love with this song so I decided to go with it. I'm very glad I did. I've had it for a good few years now and still love it.
Also, I don't know, I just think it's prudent to mention that I am really scared of zombies. I woke Joel up in the middle of the night after a nightmare a few months ago, just to confirm that we can have a shelter (I'm thinking like the one in Blast From The Past) built into our house when we grow up, 'for when the zombies come'. I was reassured that we can, but I don't know what I'm going to do until then...
I don't really know what else to write, so I guess I'm done!
Regarding my circle 'policy': while I intend this journal to be largely public, I may sometimes restrict access on any overly personal posts. Additionally, I intend to keep all my original writing access-only, simply for protection.
Please feel free to subscribe to me if you wish. If you're interested in gaining access, simply leave me a comment letting me know who you are, where you've come from, and why you're interested and I'll probably be more than willing to add you.
So, here's a (not so) brief summary of me & my life:
My name is Siobhán. I'm 20 years old, born on the 26th of May 1988. I have two siblings - an older brother (James), who is doing ridiculously well in his post-uni life and is always texting me about shiny new gadgets he has bought, the most recent being a super new house with his long-term girlfriend and their dog. It has built in speaker systems and set-up for Sky HD and things. What a bastard. I have a younger sister (Niamh). She is 14 on the 23rd of May and to be honest I have never forgiven her for being born three days before my birthday. Everyone who has ever met her agrees that she is probably the spawn of the devil. She's currently in her 'emo' phase (she insists she's not an emo, but if you saw her you'd know she was wrong), and my dad recently had the nerve to tell me that she's better at English than I was. English has always been my subject. Despite all this, I'm quite fond of her when she's far away from me. My dad suffers from 'depression' (air-quotes because 'depression' is such a catch-all term and I don't want to go into the precise details) and my mum suffers from living with him (a very difficult task). They're poor, but have always done their best to provide me with everything I needed and with a good deal of things that I just really wanted. My grandparents' are some of my favourite people on earth - having spoiled me ridiculously since childhood, I cannot fathom life without them and I am determined to get married as soon as possible, because the thought of them missing my wedding is something I can't entertain. My family are so important to me, and I know how lucky I am to have them.
Another thing that I am lucky to have is my boyfriend of over three years. His name is Joel, and he's a Libra. According to a book somebody bought me once, steadfast Libras are the perfect match for flighty Geminis like myself, and so far it seems to be working out pretty well. I love him more than words can describe, which obviously means I tend to talk about him a LOT. You have been forewarned. We are moving in together at the end of June 2009, and I literally cannot explain how excited I am about this. I cannot wait for the day when I never have to be without his lump of a presence in my bed again. ♥
I'm just about to finish my BA in English Studies at the University of Liverpool (11 days to go), which is pretty scary. I want to be a librarian, but before that I have to raise the funds for a postgraduate degree and I haven't yet secured a post-Uni job. So at the moment, life's looking pretty terrifying for me, but I am sure I will get it all worked out. At one time in my life I really wanted to be a writer, but for a long time now I have barely written anything. I believe that I am a very talented writer apart from in one very important aspect, which is that I lack plots. I recently had a short story published in a journal, though, which has inspired me to start writing again.
I love reading (hence the English degree). My favourite book is To Kill A Mockingbird, but my favourite genre is generally fantasy. I have an unfathomable love for Harry Potter, not just because the books are amazing (they are) and because I've been following them since I was 9 (I have), but also because of the Harry Potter fandom, and what it has brought to my life (in short: amazing, life-defining friendships).
I am fond of a few TV shows: Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Queer as Folk US are maybe my all-time favourites, but current shows that I enjoy are: Smallville, which I just recently started to watch from the beginning and am liking it a lot; new Doctor Who - I am a ridiculous doctor/rose shipper, and i'm also not over what they did to poor Donna; Bones, which combines forensic crime drama and amazing characters and David Boreanaz (my first love: see Buffy) and which therefore I love; Gossip Girl, which is my guilty pleasure; How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory, which I think are both vastly underrated, at least here in Englandia.
My journal name is from the Snow Patrol song 'Set the Fire to the Third Bar'. For a long time my journal name was the vastly unoriginal 'siobhanohare', and then some drama made me decide that it was time to change to something different. I tried in vain to change to something relating to the song 'Chasing Cars' (which is Joel and I's 'song' (clichéd, I know)), but all the possible variations of it that I could think of were taken, and I was very much in love with this song so I decided to go with it. I'm very glad I did. I've had it for a good few years now and still love it.
Also, I don't know, I just think it's prudent to mention that I am really scared of zombies. I woke Joel up in the middle of the night after a nightmare a few months ago, just to confirm that we can have a shelter (I'm thinking like the one in Blast From The Past) built into our house when we grow up, 'for when the zombies come'. I was reassured that we can, but I don't know what I'm going to do until then...
I don't really know what else to write, so I guess I'm done!
Regarding my circle 'policy': while I intend this journal to be largely public, I may sometimes restrict access on any overly personal posts. Additionally, I intend to keep all my original writing access-only, simply for protection.
Please feel free to subscribe to me if you wish. If you're interested in gaining access, simply leave me a comment letting me know who you are, where you've come from, and why you're interested and I'll probably be more than willing to add you.
no subject
Date: 2009-05-04 03:53 pm (UTC)Good luck with your final days at uni! Do you get a graduation ceremony soon as well?
My favourite Snow Patrol song is "Chocolate", because my older sister loved it and played it all the time in the months before she got married and moved into her own house (I also have a wonderfully successful and accomplished older sibling, except she hasn't got a permanent job yet - long-term primary teaching posts here are gold dust).
no subject
Date: 2009-05-04 03:58 pm (UTC)Anyway, it's lovely to meet you and I'm going to try to be an active commenter to everyone I add, even if it's just a sentence.
PS: Charlotte Martin did a lovely cover of "Chocolate" if you like that song too, I'm fairly sure it's on YouTube.
no subject
Date: 2009-05-04 04:22 pm (UTC)I do like Chocolate, it's one of my favourite Snow Patrol songs and I'm generally interested in finding cool cover versions of songs I like, so I'll have to check that out. :)
Thank you for the good luck wishes! My graduation ceremony is on the 10th of July, and then I will have an official degree. Er, hopefully, anyway. I believe I read that you had a year out of uni - are you going into your second year for 09-10, then? I cannot imagine how much pressure being at Oxford would be - I am generally pretty grateful that Cambridge didn't want me. My first year away from home, before Joel moved to Liverpool to start LJMU, was awful 'cause I missed him like crazy, and Liverpool is only an hour or so away from home. It's so hard being away from boyfriendy-type people, so you definitely have my sympathy!
Aren't those successful older siblings annoying? It's like I am very proud/happy for him and things and like to show off about my awesome brother with all his bonuses and promotions, but at the same time his new kitchen is amazing (I like to cook, kitchens are important!) and I am just very jealous. :( I believe that primary teaching is pretty hard to get into in most places, so I'll add some good luck wishes to her pile. I think at the moment everybody needs extra luck when jobhunting, which makes it a pretty shaky time to be graduating, but c'est la vie.
Yikes, I got pretty rambly there. I'm sorry, I'm just excited to have my first official new Dreamwidth friend, haha. Also I think I'm slightly loopy from sleep deprivation and essay pressure. :| Hopefully you will recognise the feeling and not be too freaked out by the fact that I still have not stopped talking. Oops.
Just so you know, not all of my comments will be like this.
no subject
Date: 2009-05-06 04:25 am (UTC)Also - hi!
no subject
Date: 2009-05-06 09:32 am (UTC)But d'aww, thankyou. :D
Hi. :p
no subject
Date: 2009-05-09 04:47 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2009-05-11 09:55 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2009-05-16 12:25 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2009-05-16 04:03 pm (UTC)